Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Bayer MaterialScience's raw materials and technologies are playing an important role in Penn State University's entry into the 2009 US department of Energy (DoE) Solar Decathlon, a 15 Oct BMS statement said.
The biannual international competition challenges students and faculty to design, build and operate an entirely solar-powered house. Twenty teams will participate, with Penn State's home - called Natural Fusion - are on display during the competition at the National Mall in Washington, DC.
The 800-sq.ft. (74-sq.m.) house, which achieves "net zero" energy efficiency based on tests during the competition, features 11 BMS materials and technologies, including:
• BaySystems spray polyurethane foam for floor, wall and roof insulation;
• Aluminium-faced, polyiso (PIR - polyisocyanurate) insulation board;
• Formaldehyde-free p-MDI (methylene diphenyl diisocyanate) binders for OSB (oriented strand board) for floor and roof framing;
• Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) film for powered solar shade photovoltaic panels and thermal ballast water bladders in the floor which can be heated in winter;
• Soya-based polyurethane foam sprayed into aluminium window lineals to reduce heat transfer
• Polyaspartic cool roof coatings;
• Low VOC (volatile organic compound) polyurethane adhesives for bonding the floor, and
• Polyurethane-based sealant for openings in the building envelop such as windows and doors.
The Bayer USA Foundation has also donated $10 000, the statement said.
"The Solar Decathlon gives us an excellent opportunity to demonstrate how our materials can be successfully used in the construction of sustainable, solar homes, and at an affordable price," said Mark Witman, leader of the project with BMS and head of New business, Industry Innovations and Construction in the US. (RD)
FSK PU trade conference confirmed for 10-11 Nov in Wuerzburg
Frankfurt, Germany - FSK (Fachverband Schaumkunststoffe eV), the German specialist association for foamed plastics and polyurethanes, has confirmed that its annual meeting will be held 10-11 Nov 2009 in Wuerzburg, Germany.
The polyurethane trade conference will include technical lectures from member companies, as well as the presentation of current market data on the PU industry, the association said recently.
To stay up-to-date visit www.fsk-vsv.de. Email the association for further information at [email protected], tel +49 (0)69 299 207 0, fax +49 (0)69 299 207 11. (RD)