Helsinki -- Importers and manufacturers must notify the correct classification and labelling of substances that are hazardous or subject to registration under REACH -- the European Union's regulation on registration, evaluation and authorisation of chemicals.
ECHA, the European Chemicals Agency, said in a 21 Dec statement that there is no need to notify for substances which have already been registered under REACH, unless the registered classification information needs to be updated.
According to the Agency, companies have successfully submitted more than 2 million notifications and they have until 3 Jan 2011, 24:00 GMT to notify of substances on their own or in mixtures irrespective of the tonnage.
ECHA says the REACH-IT system will remain open from Monday 27 Dec 10.00 am to 30 Dec 19.00 pm, and will also be open 24 hours on the last submission day, 3 Jan 2011. However, REACH-IT will only be open to accept notifications to the Classification and Labelling Inventory. REACH Registrations and other submissions will not be possible during this period, ECHA said.
ECHA's Helpdesk, which provides technical support on ECHA's IT tools and advice on provisions of the REACH and CLP Regulations will also respond to CLP questions between 27 Dec and 30 Dec 2010.
Any final questions on CLP notifications need to be submitted by 17.00 GMT on 3 Jan so that companies can receive an answer in time to be able to make their submission by the deadline.
ECHA also points out that there are several tools available to help, including:
* Online REACH-IT module guides you step-by-step in creating and submitting your C&L notification: you can even simply "agree" with one of the 2 000 000 C&L notifications already made.
* Bulk Excel tool allows you to submit, in one go, up to 1000 notifications. If the classification of your substance is already harmonised, enter the index number and the C&L information will be automatically filled in for you.
* Group of manufacturers/importers tool reduces your submission effort: submit only one file on behalf of many manufacturers and importers.
* "View submitted C&L" menu in REACH-IT allows you to check all the C&L Notifications and Registrations according to the CLP criteria you have submitted.
* Guidance documents and manuals, published in 22 EU-languages, explain how to create your notifications and use the IT tools.