Helsinki - The European Chemicals Agency is open for business. As of today, staff are taking enquiries and providing information on the REACH (Registration, Evaluation and Authorisation of Chemicals) legislation. Geert Dancet has been named as interim executive director at the Helsinki headquarters.
Initially 40 staff will work at the headquarters. Their main task will be to respond to telephone queries from companies affected by the new law,
The European Chemicals Agency is located in the centre of Helsinki at Annankatu 18, 00121 Helsinki, Finland. it is housed in a large red-brick building (pictured).
The mission of the European Chemicals Agency is to:
- Manage and carry out technical, scientific and administrative aspects of REACH
- Ensure consistency at Community level in relation to these aspects
- Provide the Member States and the institutions of the Community with the best possible scientific and technical advice on questions relating to chemicals which fall under REACH
- Manage IT-based guidance documents, tools and data bases
- Support national helpdesks and run a helpdesk for registrants
- Make information on chemicals publicly accessible
The organisation can be reached on +358 9 686180. The mailing address is: P.O.Box 400, 00121 Helsinki, Finland. or http://ec.europa.eu/echa/home_en