Ohio, US – Water-curing PU adhesive is iressistible to dogs, according to an American veterinarian, and can cause serious harm when ingested. Writing in the Ironton Chronicle, columnist and veterinarian MJ Wixsom, who practises at the Guardian Animal Medical Centre in Flatwoods, Kentucky, says that polyurethane adhesive "tastes (and smells) sweet, so dogs are attracted to it".
Wixsom wrote of his experience treating Felix, a Border Collie-cross. Felix had been vomiting after ingesting a popular brand of PU adhesive, Gorilla Glue. The adhesive reacts in contact with water, expands, and cures. But curious dogs, sampling the "tasty" treats, don't realise what will happen once the adhesive meets their internal fluids.
Given an X-ray, Felix was found to have a 100mm sphere of expanded PU adhesive in his stomach, and required surgery. The ball of PU was removed from his stomach, along with a partially digested squeaky toy, and Felix made a full recovery. But other dogs have not been so lucky.
Wixsom recommends that users of PU adhesives keep them safely away from curious pooches, and that contractors (or DIY users) keep pets away from the adhesives while in use, and clear up any spills.